Octopus' Garden

Saturday, February 16, 2008

UPDATE FROM UPSTATE NEW YORK

Today is my last day in Oswego. This afternoon I'll head up to Syracuse for sight-seeing, dinner, and symphony, then will spend the night there and fly out early tomorrow morning. The last few days have been an amazing blur of readings and workshops. On Thursday, I met with a history class at SUNY Oswego, read some historical monologues and talked about the intersection of history and creative work. The students there all had really great questions. Then I gave a Valentine's Day reading at the library cafe -- all buggy insect and mollusk love. After that, I conferenced individually with some exceptionally talented (and nice!) SUNY Oswego creative students, which made for a great rest of the afternoon! (One of the students kindly pointed out to me that Lake Ontario would act as a natural geographical buffer and thereby prevent me from accidentally driving into Canada in a Tourette's-like spasm of directional dyslexia, and so I've been feeling really good about that ever since!)

Oh! And also on Thursday? I gorged on unspeakably delicious Thai carry-out from Oswego's House of Thai! I had a Spicy Crystal Salad that I think I'm going to be reminiscing yearningly about for months to come.

On Friday, I traveled to the Village(!) of Hannibal and read at Hannibal High School and conducted a day-long workshop with the high school students. Later that night I gave my final reading for the trip at the Safe Haven Museum located in Fort Ontario.

* * *


This is my (finally) Special Dog Friend Julius from the charming Serendipity B&B in Oswego. Julius is suspicious. When I was here earlier this summer, he wouldn't even deign to be in the same room with me. When I arrived this trip, he came right up to me and licked my hand. However, he wouldn't let me pet him. Which was tragic, because he is so cute and soft and fawn-colored, and reminds me of one of my All-Time Favorite Top Blog Dogs, the awesome Chalupa. Julius withheld and withheld and withheld, but finally last night, let me pet him. Lest I get too big for my boots, however, it appears that I am only allowed to pet him on Fridays, but not on Saturdays. Suspicious Julius, much like my very own Yuki the Cat, apparently has complicated Julius Hoops that one must jump through.



* * *


Here I am, playing around with my MacBook Photobooth, before my Safe Haven reading last night, and this morning in my favorite Santa Claws lobster pajamas. (I should probably not confess to having a favorite pair of Santa Claws lobster pajamas, but I guess I just did, so there you go.)





posted by Artichoke Heart at 12:11 PM

2 Comments:

Ayyyy! The Chalupa and I love suspicious Julius! And the Chalupa is most thrilled to be a favorite blog dog. Have a safe trip home.
Blogger Dr. Medusa, at 11:43 AM  
But, really, let's be honest. I don't think that even the mighty Lake Ontario would be enough to stop you from accidently driving into Canada.

I mean, right?

Sounds you like had a wunnerful time. Awesome.
Blogger Lu, at 1:22 PM  

Add a comment