Octopus' Garden

Thursday, January 05, 2006

SWITCH

Me (Taking P’s wrist): I love this watch. It looks really good on you.

P: It’s a man’s watch. S. bought it for me last year. Do you want to try it on?

Me: Definitely.

P (Taking my wrist and lifting up sleeve): Which watch are you wearing tonight? Oh, I love this one.

Me: Here. You try it on. We’ll switch.

P: Yeah. Let’s switch. (A few moments later.) My watch looks really good on you.

Me: Yeah. Mine looks really good on you too.

Astonished Male Onlooker: Did you two just trade watches?

Me: That’s right. We switched.

P: Yup. We switched. (We laugh gleefully).

P (To me): Let’s just stay switched for the rest of the night, okay?

Me: What are you telling me? Are you saying you’d like to drive? I could let you drive, if you'd like.

P: I don’t get it.

Me: Sorry. I forgot myself for a moment.

P: I need to maintain good boundaries. I’m still just too Lutheran, you know.

Me: Yeah.

P: We can hold hands, though.

Me: Okay.
posted by Artichoke Heart at 1:22 PM

5 Comments:

Ha! Switching watches is nice. So is holding hands. What will you switch next time???
Blogger Sfrajett, at 11:30 PM  
i don't know if i would switch so casually with people. i'm sooo posessive that this would probably drive me crazy to even see someone wearing my stuff...even my twin doesn't switch anything with me...
Blogger No Milk Please, at 11:34 PM  
Artichoke Heart, it looks like this is now a Chicago-dominated comment thread. So far. :)

Remember the old Tareyton cigarette ads, "I'd rather fight than switch"?
Blogger Lenka Reznicek, at 4:32 PM  
I have to say I'm fascinated, from an anthropological perspective, at the geographical magnetism this particular post seems to be creating!
Blogger Artichoke Heart, at 7:20 PM  
We don't have watches here in Pacific Northwest. Or umbrellas. Which is why we get wet a lot. And are often late.
Blogger Shannon, at 2:59 PM  

Add a comment