Octopus' Garden

Saturday, October 15, 2005

POTPOURRI

Yesterday I was sick. To euphemistically quote my four-year-old friend, T: I cuked. Not to put too fine a point on it, but there was a lot of cuking involved. Some of my other favorite T-isms: "I'm not going to bed because I'm noc-TURN-al!" "I don't want to eat that. Why? Because I'm too intelligent." "Resistance is futile!"

* * *

This afternoon I employed the word "Althusserian" without irony. I used "Zijekian" as well, but at that point I think I may have been pushing it.

* * *

Friends: What's on fire? (While watching My Summer of Love).

Me: Uh oh. The drug-induced death pact in front of a wall of flame is definitely a scenario to be wary of.

* * *

Salient Discovery: Upon opening the dairy case at Jones Supermarket to snag some kefir, I discovered that the door is programmed to make loud mooing sounds. At 11:00 p.m. tonight this struck me as hilariously funny, and so I kept opening and shutting the dairy case and snickering in the dairy aisle amidst the cacophony of fecund lowing.
posted by Artichoke Heart at 1:23 AM

5 Comments:

It took me a few minutes to realize that Althusserian was not an Armenian name. Maybe it's because I have a lot of Armenian friends or maybe it's because it's bloody early and I haven't had coffee and I have to go to rehearsal in the rain in a few minutes.

There is a store here that had that same mooing thing happen when you stepped in a certain spot in the dairy aisle. It always made me feel fat. Actually, the first time I heard it I was considering buying a large carton of sour cream for one small baked potato and I was pretty sure some smart-ass was behind me mooing at my ass. I put down the sour cream and never went back.
Blogger Radish King, at 10:33 AM  
Louis Althusser would not approve of your supermarket shenanigans. Stop interpellating the refrigerated doors at once.
Blogger Chris Conway, at 12:50 AM  
I wish that when I was a kid, I had thought to say things like "I don't want to eat that. Why? Because I'm too intelligent." I should have tried that line at some point.

I would be one of those people who annoys the other shoppers by opening and shutting the mooing door repeatedly.

M. Luminous
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 AM  
Wow--it's like the Fisher Price barn for grown-ups! I enthusiastically wore out my barn's moo, I'm afraid.

My friend's 4-yr-old: "Look, another McDonald's. They're getting ubiquitous."

I did not know what "ubiquitous" meant until grad school.
Blogger Emily Lloyd, at 10:30 PM  
I am sorry you were sick and cuking. I hope you have since recovered. And as for the word Althusserian -- don't ever do that again.

;-)

-moo
Blogger mopsa, at 8:26 AM  

Add a comment