Octopus' Garden

Saturday, October 08, 2005

BITS OF TID DU JOUR

1. It's very annoying when one purchases Wisconsin chevre in small, tight plastic pouches that make the cheese look suspicious--as if transported across state lines after having been swallowed by a cheese mule--and when spread upon a Triscuit for a late afternoon treat one realizes that said Wisconsin chevre kind of, to tell the truth, sucks ass. One longs for the delicious and oh-so-satisfying chevre one normally purchases at the Hy-Vee--the kind with the happy gamboling goats--but which, most annoyingly, was completely sold out when one went to stock up the week before.

2. The Notebook--the one that actually counts for real this time--was turned in this week.

3. Several days ago I received my contributor's copies for the Annual Summer Double Fiction Issue of North American Review, where I have a story published. It's only my third ever published story, and so I still can't help but find the whole thing over-the-toply thrilling.

4. I can't even begin to articulate the frustration that occurs when, while watching the final two episodes of Season Three of Farscape on loan from Netflix, during the very final scene of both of the aforementioned season finale episodes, the disk simply ginds to a halt and refuses to go any further, disintegrating into a Lego mosaic of square pixels. All of the scenes leading up to the final scene of each of these episodes? Fine. Crystal clear. No problemo. It just wouldn't let me watch the final freaking scenes of the season-freaking-finale episodes. Fine. Whatever.

5. The Bean Bean thinks it's very amusing to watch me brush my teeth. Then, when I bend over to spit and rinse, he jumps up onto my back and stretches out--making himself comfortable and purring like a madman--all the while gnawing frenetically on my hair like a slightly rabid beaver with OCD. Even though it's not entirely convenient or comfortable, and makes me think my cat's more than a little bizarre, I nonetheless find this ritual rather endearingly dear.
posted by Artichoke Heart at 11:32 PM

5 Comments:

Will check out the new issue of North American Review...looking forward to your story. Congratulations!
Blogger Chris Conway, at 1:25 AM  
What is it about cats and hair? My little guy was sitting on the back of the couch behind me this afternoon chewing and chewing like crazy.

Congrats on the story!
Blogger Anne Haines, at 2:26 AM  
I like your round-ups... Congrats on the short story! Yay!
Blogger Ivy, at 5:25 AM  
"cheese mule"...muahahaha. And nice new pic. I'm a freak for funky hats.
Blogger Emily Lloyd, at 10:18 AM  
You can always make suspicious chevre sublime by warming it over very low heat in a little sauce pan, adding a tablespoon or 2 of cream, stirring until it softens and smooths, adding a bit of fresh cracked black pepper, or dill, or whatever fresh herbs you might have handy, and spooning it onto crostini or crackers or just into your mouth. Yum.
Blogger Radish King, at 10:36 AM  

Add a comment