Octopus' Garden

Saturday, August 27, 2005

HEARTICHOKE

I'm rushing around today because I'm a No-Goodnik and a Procrastinator. (Is it me, or does the word procrastination always sound just a little bit naughty, like some sort of specialty fetish?) But a few quick snippets:

First of all, I would like to confess that I'm obsessed with artichokes. So much so, that one of my secret desires it to someday attend the Castroville Artichoke Festival. The Agro-Art involving artichokes, in particular, would be worth the trip.

You should also probably know that I occasionally like to visit the Artichoke Advisory Board webpage. Is it wrong that I sometimes fantasize about being made an honorary member of the Artichoke Advisory Board? I particularly like to check in on the Artichoke News link. I mean, how can one resist a headline such as: "California Artichokes Basking in Cool Summer Days for a Season of Great Summer and Fall Fun"? It's fucking hypnotic . . . I'm telling you.

And finally (I love this): the heartichoke.
posted by Artichoke Heart at 12:17 PM

8 Comments:

Hot Artichoke Dip

Sauté for 3 minutes or until onions begin to sweat:

1 medium onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced
add
1 package frozen chopped spinach, drained well or 6 cups fresh spinach. Cook for one additional minute
add
1 small jar of artichoke hearts, drained but not rinsed, cook for just a few seconds. Set aside.

Soften 8 oz. of cream cheese to room temperature
add 4 oz. of bleu or gorgonzola cheese
½ cup shredded parmesean cheese
1 cup sour cream
¾ cup mayonnaise
pepper to taste

add veggies to cheese mixture, stir well
top with chopped scallions and sliced almonds

Bake at a shallow dish at 400 degrees until cheese is bubbling, about 35 to 40 minutes
Blogger Radish King, at 4:49 PM  
God I'm hungry now.
Blogger gina, at 7:46 PM  
Anything that starts with making onions sweat has got to be good.
Blogger Anne Haines, at 8:48 PM  
Ooh, that looks absolutely amazing, Rebecca! Thank you . . . you're a goddess!
Blogger Artichoke Heart, at 10:57 PM  
Welcome!
Blogger Radish King, at 1:42 AM  
I used to live in Northern California and drive north and south through Castroville and Gilroy (garlic festival!) two or three times a year. It's so beautiful up there. You should go to the artichoke festival, but make it a road trip and also visit Carmel, Monterrey, Gilroy, and Santa Cruz (where there's a vintage, wooden roller coaster that's a hoot). You can have fish and chips on the Santa Cruz pier and watch the sea lions moan their hearts out as you stand at the railing. Gosh, you've made me nostalgic!!
Blogger Chris Conway, at 12:56 PM  
Have you seen this site:http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/artichoke.htm

It has a link to the world's largest artichoke.
Blogger Patty, at 2:54 AM  
Family owned since 1924, Ocean Mist Farms continues to provide its customers with the freshest Artichokes and vegetables.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 PM  

Add a comment